Sunday, February 23, 2014

The one with the Sontag book

Decided to leaf through Reborn, the first volume of Susan Sontag's published journals, while cooling down from weekend chores. It was part of last month's haul from a used-books store.

The first line set the tone and it was rather depressing:
("I believe that there is no personal god or life after death"), but I pressed on. She is an atheist and upfront about it—it was right on the first page. Her entries were arranged by date, which meant that she had known this belief (or unbelief) from her teens. I know what to expect and what not to.

But four pages hence, she quotes Hilaire Belloc ("When I am dead, I hope it may be said: 'His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.'"). Belloc is one-half of the Chesterbelloc, and you can guess who the other half is... a pleasant surprise, not all is lost perhaps. Or keep at zero expectations and just might come upon a pleasant surprise or two.#

2 comments:

  1. Hi girl. You should write more! I just saw your blog from my traffic sources. Galing. Magsulat ka pa. Thanks for linking mine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, Iris! good to 'hear' from you. with this kind of encouragement, yes i will try and write more. :-)

    ReplyDelete