I've been wrestling with long-held beliefs on the issue of homosexual love. Most portrayals of affection between gay people that I've seen in movies or in written fiction are of the sexual kind, and I've always found it difficult to wrap my head around the mere idea.
But once in a while, I see or read about two people who are so alike (biologically) that they couldn't be together, and
whose love for each other seems so real that I couldn't help egging them on, in my mind at least, and marveling about that point when some phenomenon overcomes its own taboo because it is now about something powerful and universal.
Now, I do not believe that something can be true in one age and untrue in another. I believe that whatever is True must be true in any age, for any generation, in any circumstance. Otherwise, it is a mere fad, a preference made for convenience of body or conscience.
"... but the Lord looks at the heart" said the prophet Samuel.
If the heart is where God deals with us, then I cannot claim that I, a straight person, has a purer heart or a bigger capacity to love than a gay person. And if love be true, then it can be life-giving and self-sacrificing wherever it exists. Conversely, love can be perverted wherever there is malice and ill will--two things that afflict both gay and straight.
"The Lord looks at the heart" resonates with me, looking back at my own pain and that I've caused others, thinking of both joys and struggles that seem to renew themselves at every bend. It is a humbling reminder that some of those whom we consider 'irregular' may in fact be handling life more beautifully and doing a better job of pleasing God in the everyday.#
No comments:
Post a Comment